Payment of Taxes

  1. How can I pay?

  2. What should I do if I cannot pay the full amount due with my tax return?

  3. How do I request a payment plan?

  1. How can I pay?
    • Pay by Automatic Withdrawal
      • It's free and you decide when the payment is withdrawn.
      • Funds must be available in the account on the withdrawal date specified.
      • You may file your return early and set the payment to be withdrawn on the due date.
      • For returns filed after April 18, the payment is effective on the request date. If the date is later than the return file date, the return will be rejected.
      • Returns will be rejected if the payment date is missing or invalid.

    • Pay by Credit Card

      Individual income taxpayers who filed a Wisconsin tax return with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) last year, business taxpayers who file returns and pay bills, and taxpayers who have an account notice payment key are all eligible to pay by credit card.

    • Pay by check

      If you filed electronically, enclose your check with Form EPV (Electronic Payment Voucher) and mail to:

      Wisconsin Department of Revenue
      PO Box 930208
      Milwaukee, WI 53293-0208

      If you filed a paper return, enclose your check with your return. If you do not enclose a check, a bill will be sent to you after the return has been processed. Note: This may take several weeks and may result in interest being due in addition to the amount owed.

  2. What should I do if I cannot pay the full amount due with my tax return?

    If you cannot pay the full amount due with your return, file a completed return on time and pay as much as possible. By filing on time, you will avoid late filing fees and possible negligence penalties. In certain cases, you may have the option to pay the balance due shown on your individual income tax return by credit card. See Pay by Credit Card for more information. You will receive a bill for any unpaid balance.

  3. How do I request a payment plan?

    It is generally to your advantage to pay the amount due in full. If the amount due is not paid in full by the due date of your notice, you will be charged interest of 18% per year and a delinquent collection fee 6 1/2% ($35 minimum). There is a $20 fee to enter into a payment plan. Individuals or businesses owing income tax or non-tax debt can request a payment plan through My Tax Account.

    Note: If you would like to submit your request on paper, print and complete Form A-771 and Form A-771a. Mail the completed forms to: Compliance Bureau, Wisconsin Department of Revenue, PO Box 8901, Madison, WI 53708-8901.

    Payment plan terms require that you file and pay all tax returns on time and make the expected payments. As long as you honor these terms, we will not take other collection action. However, we will collect any refunds or payments due to you from the federal government, Wisconsin and other states and may issue a tax warrant to secure the debt.

    If you have any questions, you may contact a revenue agent at (608) 266-7879.


Compliance Bureau
PO Box 8901
Madison, WI 53708-8901
Phone: (608) 266-7879
Fax: (608) 224-5790
Email additional questions to

April 26, 2018