Follow these steps to close your business with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue and prevent future notices and assessments. You must file a return for each period the business was active.
Employee Withholding Tax
- File final withholding tax deposits through end date (WT–6)
- Issue wage and withholding information returns to employees (W–2)
- File annual withholding reconciliation (WT–7) and supporting information returns within 30 days of end date
- Close your withholding tax account
- Visit our withholding page for filing options
Sales and Use Tax
- Review When is selling a Business or Business Assets subject to sales tax?
- File final sales and use tax return within 30 days of end date
- Close your sales and use tax account:
Income or Franchise Tax
- File final income or franchise tax return
- Check as final, unless filing Schedule C
- Report gain or loss on sale or liquidation of assets
Partnerships and S corporations - Provide a copy of final Schedule 3K–1 or Schedule 5K–1 to partners or shareholders
Other Tax Types
- File final returns for any other tax account registered with the department (e.g., excise tax, premier resort area tax, local exposition tax)
- Close your business tax account:
- Complete the Request to Close Account in My Tax Account for each business tax account, or
- Email DORBusinessTax@wisconsin.gov, or
- Call (608) 266–2776
Review federal responsibilities. See Internal Revenue Service Closing a Business Checklist
Applicable Laws and Rules
This document provides statements or interpretations of the following laws and regulations enacted as of October 28, 2021: secs. 71.20, 71.24, 71.32, 77.58, 78.13, 78.50 and 78.59, Wis. Stats.
Laws enacted and in effect after this date, new administrative rules, and court decisions may change the interpretations in this document. Guidance issued prior to this date, that is contrary to the information in this document is superseded by this document, according to sec. 73.16(2)(a), Wis. Stats.
The department welcomes your input on our guidance. Submit comments on this guidance document.
Guidance Document Number: 100100
October 28, 2021