Follow these steps to close your business with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue and prevent future notices and assessments. You must file a return for each period the business was active.
Employee Withholding Tax
- File final withholding tax deposits through end date (WT–6)
- Issue wage and withholding information returns to employees (W–2)
- File annual withholding reconciliation (WT–7) and supporting information returns within 30 days of end date
- Close your withholding tax account
- Visit our
withholding page for filing options
Sales and Use Tax
When is a sale of a business or business assets subject to sales tax?
- File final sales and use tax return within 30 days of end date
- Close your sales and use tax account:
Income or Franchise Tax
- File final income or franchise tax return
- Check as final, unless filing Schedule C
- Report gain or loss on sale or liquidation of assets
Partnerships and S corporations - Provide a copy of final Schedule 3K–1 or Schedule 5K–1 to partners or shareholders
Other Tax Types
- File final returns for any other tax account registered with the department (e.g., excise tax, premier resort area tax, local exposition tax)
- Close your business tax account:
- Complete the
Request to Close Account in My Tax Account for each business tax account, or
- Call (608) 266–2776
Review federal responsibilities. See Internal Revenue Service
Closing a Business Checklist
Applicable Laws and Rules
This document provides statements or interpretations of the following laws and regulations in effect as of February 19, 2020: Sections 71.20, 71.24, 71.32, 77.58, 78.13, 78.50 and 78.59, Wis. Stats.
Laws enacted and in effect after February 19, 2020, new administrative rules, and court decisions may change the interpretations in this document. Guidance issued prior to February 19, 2020, that is contrary to the information in this document is superseded by this document, pursuant to sec. 73.16(2)(a), Wis. Stats.
Guidance Document Certification:
Guidance Document Number: 100100
February 19, 2020