General Withholding Tax Questions

  1. Who is required to withhold Wisconsin income taxes?

  2. Do I need to register to withhold Wisconsin income tax?

  3. How do I apply for a Wisconsin withholding tax number?

  4. Am I required to file a Form WT-6, Wisconsin Withholding Tax Deposit Report?

  5. What is the filing deadline?

  6. Are extensions to file available?

  7. How do I file Form WT-7, Employer's Annual Reconciliation of Wisconsin Income Tax Withheld from Wages?

  8. Where do I send my Forms W-2 after filing my annual reconciliation?

  9. My employee's Wisconsin income tax refund is being held. Why?

  10. Where do I send other types of information returns such as Forms 1099 and 9b?

  11. How do I notify the department if I change my business location or mailing address?

  12. Should I notify the department if I close my business?

  13. What records should I keep for Wisconsin tax purposes, and how long should I keep them?

  14. Can I claim the exemption from withholding?


Customer Service Bureau
PO Box 8949
Madison, WI 53708-8949
Phone: (608) 266-2776
Fax: (608) 267-1030
Email additional questions to

January 22, 2019