March 20, 2017
To: Manufacturers, Real Estate Owners and Preparers
Note: Disregard this reminder if you have already filed your 2017 M-Form.
IMPORTANT NOTE TO RECIPIENT: Your email address is associated with the manufacturing account identified in the subject line as an owner and/or authorized user within the Wisconsin Department of Revenue's (DOR) Manufacturing Assessment System (MAS).
If you are the current manufacturing property owner and authorized to access your account through MAS
- Log in to MAS and review the authorized users for your account(s)
REPLY to this email and identify the names/emails of current authorized user(s) you would like to remove from the account(s)
- **If you are
not currently authorized to access your account(s) in MAS, visit the
e-filing page for more information on obtaining electronic authorization
If you were an authorized user – who is no longer associated with this account
REPLY to this email to request your removal as an authorized user from the manufacturing account identified in the subject line
Filing M-Forms late
- All manufacturers are required by state law to file the 2017 Manufacturing Property Return (M-Form) by
March 1, 2017. You received this message because the manufacturing property assessment account identified in the subject line of this email and associated with this email address
Log in to our Manufacturing Assessment System (MAS) to verify the status of the manufacturing property assessment account referenced in the subject line
- File the required 2017 (M-Form) by the
March 1, 2017 due date;
- Request a filing extension by the deadline. Extension requests are no longer available.
- Under state law (sec. 70.995(12)(c), Wis. Stats.), DOR must assess a filing penalty if an M-Form return is not filed, filed late or filed incomplete
- The manufacturing account identified in the subject line is
more than 10 days late.
current late-filing penalty -
11-30 days late – minimum
$50.00 penalty up to
$250.00 maximum penalty –
file by April
1, 2017 to avoid increased penalty
More than 30 days late– minimum
$100.00 penalty up to
$750.00 maximum penalty –
if filed on or after April
Additionally, non-filers will:
Note:Late filing penalty fee information is available on our website.
- Receive estimated 2017 manufacturing property assessments
- Forfeit the property tax exemption for administrative computers and facsimile machines
- Lose the right to appeal their 2017 assessment to the Board of Assessors
Electronically filing (e-file) your M-Forms
e-filing your 2017 M-Forms through our Manufacturing Assessment System (MAS).
Note: Late e-filed M-Forms may be e-filed after the
March 1, 2017 due date. The MAS system automatically time stamps returns when the preparer designates the form as complete. Penalties are assessed based on the e-file date.
- E-filing is secure and allows you to prepare, save, file, view and print your returns
- Authorized users can file returns
- For more M-Form information, related common questions and instructions, visit our
Manufacturers web page
Paper-filed returns are not considered properly filed unless they:
- Contain the completed cover page including signatures and all required schedules
- Are filed on the state-prescribed
printable forms that are located on our website
Note: Late paper M-forms mailed to the appropriate Wisconsin Department of Revenue
(DOR) Manufacturing & Utility Bureau District Office are charged a penalty based on postmark date.
For other questions on filing M-Forms, late-filing penalties or manufacturing property assessment, contact your
Manufacturing & Utility Bureau District Office.