Under state law (sec.
73.09, Wis. Stats.), each individual who completes assessment work must have an assessor certification from the State of Wisconsin. Certification helps ensure a minimum knowledge of those who complete assessment work.
Five levels of Assessor Certification in Wisconsin:
- Assessment Technician
- Property Appraiser
- Assessor 1
- Assessor 2
- Assessor 3
Required certification level
Each town, village, and city has an assessor with a specific certification level depending on the property's complexity. See
Chapter 2 of the Wisconsin Property Assessment Manual for a list of assessor certification levels by municipality.
Certification level required is determined by the work:
- Each certification level is authorized to complete specific types of assessment work
- The assessment work is progressively more complex as the level of certification becomes higher
- An individual certified at the higher level is allowed to perform work of any lower level certification. An exception is the Assessor 3 level. An Assessor 3 can only perform work associated with the Assessor 3 certification.
- Assessor Certification is not required for clerical work.
Register for the exam at Pearson VUE
- On the right side of the web page, click "Sign in" or "Create account"
(Note: If you do not have an account with Person VUE, you must create one before registering for an exam)
- Click "View Exams" and then select "Wisconsin Assessor Certification - DOR"
- Select the appropriate certification exam; then click "Schedule this Exam"
- You are asked for pre-licensing training information - this is not applicable to assessors. Leave both areas blank and click "Next."
- Select the appropriate test center; then select the date and time
- Click "Proceed to Checkout" to pay exam fee and confirm exam registration
Study for the exam - materials
- Take the exam on scheduled date and time
Apply for certification with a passing exam score
Annual Assessor Meetings
If you have questions, contact us at
May 16, 2018