Under state law (sec.
73.09, Wis. Stats.), the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) establishes rules for temporary certification at the first level of certification (Assessment Technician) and designates functions for this certification. DOR also establishes the requirements and responsibilities for temporary certification.
To obtain temporary certification:
- Submit a written
Application for Temporary Certification (Form PC-724) to DOR for temporary certification
- Temporary certification becomes effective when DOR sends an approval letter to the applicant
Temporary certification is effective until either of the following occurs:
- 100 days have expired since the temporary certification became effective
- Successful completion of a certification exam
Temporary certification requirements:
- An individual may perform work at the Assessment Technician level under the supervision of a certified individual signing the assessment roll (sponsor)
Sponsor - person supervising the temporarily certified individual
- Responsible for the work of the temporarily certified individual(s)
- Monitors the activities of the temporarily certified individual(s) for compliance with the law
- Responsible for adhering to the temporary certification dates
- Applicant cannot have been previously temporarily certified
- Applicant must have a job commitment from an assessor contracting to make the assessment, under state law (secs.
70.75, Wis. Stats.)
- No more than two individuals employed by private firms may be temporarily certified for work in the same municipality
- To complete a certification exam:
Register for the exam at Pearson VUE
- On the right side of the web page, click "Sign in" or "Create account"
(Note: If you do not have an account with Pearson VUE, you must create one before registering for an exam)
- Click "View Exams" and then select "Wisconsin Assessor Certification - DOR"
- Select the appropriate certification exam; then click "Schedule this Exam"
- You are asked for pre-licensing training information - this is not applicable to assessors. Leave both areas blank and click "Next."
- Select the appropriate test center; then select the date and time
- Click "Proceed to Checkout" to pay exam fee and confirm exam registration
Study for the exam - materials
- Take the exam on scheduled date and time
Apply for certification with a passing exam score
July 16, 2018