Wisconsin sales and use tax registrants and/or their representatives may transmit sales and use tax (Form ST-12) return data in an electronic file over the Internet. This process is intended for participants who have technical expertise to create and validate an XML document or are using software that provides that service. The sales and use tax file transmission:
- is a secure process for receiving formatted electronic transmissions of sales tax returns.
- is in XML language using a Department of Revenue web server.
- offers web GUI and scripted transmission methods.
- allows one return per XML file.
- allows multiple XML files zipped together for one transmission.
- does not use SOAP or MIME enveloping processes.
- is HTML based over SSL using 128-bit encryption.
- sends acknowledgements within one business day.
- is available using the electronic funds transfer (EFT) debit and credit payment processes.
- incorporates work done by the IRS and the Federation of Tax Administrators standards group.
Caution: Neither Adobe or Microsoft Excel generates the XML in the proper format. You cannot use either of these products to file a sales tax return. We also do not accept PDF files.
Reminder: The 0.1% baseball stadium district tax ended. Last day was March 31, 2020.
Important Notice: Effective January 1, 2024, the city of Milwaukee imposes a 2% sales and use tax and the Milwaukee County sales and use tax increases from 0.5% to 0.9%. See the
Tax Rates common question.
Receipt Number: Immediately upon transfer, you will receive a receipt number. This receipt number only means that we have received a file. It does not mean that your return has been accepted. Keep this number for your records.
Acknowledgement and Confirmation Number or Reject Error Message: Within a few minutes, you should ALSO receive an email (to the address you supplied in the return) telling you whether the return was accepted, or rejected, and the reasons why it was rejected. If the return was accepted, the email will contain the confirmation number. If you do not receive the email within 24 hours, contact the department with your receipt number.
Links below provide information about this process. The spreadsheet below is in Microsoft Excel.
This system is for authorized users only. System access is monitored. By using this system you expressly consent to this monitoring. Evidence of unauthorized access will be provided to the appropriate law enforcement agencies.
Ready to Transfer
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT: