The Wisconsin Department of Revenue's Equalization Bureau issues the Net New Construction Report. This report provides municipalities and counties with net new construction numbers for levy limits and the Expenditure Restraint Program (ERP).
Amount of net new construction - this amount is new construction reduced by any demolition or destruction of buildings, and may include corrections to the prior year
Levy limit percent - is a percentage calculated by dividing the current year net new construction by the prior year Equalized Value of a municipality or county
Net New Construction Report vs. Statement of Changes in Equalized Value Report
Net New Construction Report - reports net construction numbers that include new construction reduced by any demolition or destruction of buildings, and may include corrections to the prior year
Statement of Changes in Equalized Values Report - the new construction column reports the total new construction and higher land utility for each class. The column does not include removal of buildings (demolition) or corrections to the prior year.
- Counties and municipalities use the percentage of net new construction as a valuation factor in determining the allowable levy
- DOR will post the county and municipal levy limit worksheets in September 2018
Levy limit common questions
Expenditure Restraint Program (ERP)
- Municipalities use the net new construction as a valuation factor in calculating ERP
- Municipalities use the ERP calculation to determine their allowable increase in general fund expenditures for the coming year (2019)
- DOR sends municipalities the Valuation Factor Notice in October 2018
Net New Construction Reports
If you have questions, contact the
Equalization Bureau District Office in your area.