Fermented Malt Beverage (Beer) Tax

  1. What are the definitions of "fermented malt beverage," "person" and "permittee?"

  2. What is the tax rate on fermented malt beverage?

  3. Do I need a license or permit to handle fermented malt beverage?

  4. What types of licenses and permits do I need?

  5. Who pays the fermented malt beverage tax?

  6. How do I pay fermented malt beverage tax?

  7. How do I file my fermented malt beverage tax return?

  8. What should I do if filing electronically causes a hardship?

  9. When are the fermented malt beverage tax returns due?

  10. Is any fermented malt beverage exempt from the fermented malt beverage tax?

  11. Will the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) refund any fermented malt beverage taxes I paid?

  12. How do I correct a fermented malt beverage tax return that I already filed?

  13. If I file an incorrect fermented malt beverage tax return, will I have to pay interest and penalties?

  14. Should I notify DOR if the business has a change to its name, address, or ownership or if the business ceases operating in Wisconsin?

  15. What records should I keep for Wisconsin tax purposes, and how long should I keep them?


Excise Tax Unit
PO Box 8900
Madison, WI 53708-8900
Phone: (608) 266-6701
Fax: (608) 261-7049
Email additional questions to DORExciseTaxpayerAssistance@wisconsin.gov

January 29, 2019