May 1, 2023
To: Municipal Clerks and Treasurers
Cc: County Clerks and Treasurers
Please disregard this email if you've already filed your Municipal Financial Report
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR), State and Local Finance Division would like to remind you of the upcoming due dates for e-filing the Municipal Financial Report (MFR).
- May 1, 2023 - populations over 2,500
- May 15, 2023 extension – DOR automatically grants an extension for all municipalities and counties. You do not need to send an extension request.
MFR forms are available on our website and e-filed through MyDORGov. Make sure to choose the correct form
- Form A - for counties
- Form B - for cities and villages (and towns with proprietary funds)
- Form CT - for towns (without proprietary funds)
Need help? Watch the training videos on our MFR Training web page.
Late Filing or Non-filing
- Under state law (sec. 86.303(5), Wis. Stats.), you must file a complete and accurate form by the May 15 extension due date. If DOR does not receive a complete and accurate form by the extended due date, your county/municipality is charged a late filing penalty, which reduces your General Transportation Aid payments. This penalty is calculated and imposed by the Department of Transportation (DOT).
- If DOR does not receive your form, we may request that a certified public accountant complete the form using your municipal records. Your municipality is charged for this service.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.