You can prepare and electronically file your tax return using off-the-shelf or downloaded software if you have access to a computer, smartphone, or tablet with internet access.
Off-the-Shelf or Downloadable Tax Software:
- Is available in stores and online
- May be installed on your device, to create a direct connection with the private vendor software company, in order to prepare, e-file, and/or store your tax returns
- A private vendor software company can charge a fee for their products and services that will vary in price and features
- We can process tax returns received from software products, but we do not guarantee the accuracy, features, or performance of the software
Additional Information about Online Filing:
- Safe, Secure, Accurate, Fast, and Easy
- Provides the option to receive your refund directly deposited, rather than waiting for a paper check
- Choose to pay your income tax owed by direct
withdrawal or by
- Online filing allows you to file your federal and state tax returns at the same time and receive confirmation that they are accepted.
- Always keep a copy of your income statements (Forms W-2 and 1099) for your records
- There is no additional fee from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) for electronically filing income tax returns
- For a greater understanding of Internet security, pricing, features, technical support, and other information about online filing, visit the
private vendor software sites.
Note: When you claim certain credits on your return (for example, the homestead credit), you must send documentation to verify the credit claimed. The
Form W-RA lists which credits need additional documentation. If you need to send additional documents to verify a credit you claimed, you must send the documents within 48 hours of e-filing by:
If you need to send additional documents to verify a credit you claimed, you must send the documents within 48 hours of e-filing. You can:
- Attaching the required documents to your tax return (if your software allows attachments);
- Electronically sending them through the W-RA Submission process in
My Tax Account; or
- Mailing them to the address given on the Form W-RA.
Caution: If you are submitting a paper return, do not include a W-RA. This form will prevent your return from being processed correctly.
February 11, 2020