When creating or amending a Tax Incremental District (TID), the municipality is required to publish notices about the public hearing and Joint Review Board (JRB) meetings.
Notice needed for:
JRB meetings - publish one notice at least five days before
any JRB meeting
(sec. 66.1105(4m)(e), Wis. Stats.)
- Town TIDs created under sec. 60.85, Wis. Stats.
- Environmental Remediation TIDs created under sec. 66.1106, Wis. Stats.
TID Creation – publish two consecutive notices, one per week, with the second notice at least seven days before the public hearing
TID Amendments – publish one notice at least seven days before the public hearing
The minimum number of days does not include the day the notice is published but does include the day of the meeting.
For more information, review:
Open meeting law
Public hearings must comply with the open meetings law. For more information, review:
For your reference, the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) developed the sample notices below:
Sample notice instructions:
- Use each sample as a guide
- Modify each notice to address your municipality's specific situation
- Samples contain some words in red, which indicate the
minimal updates needed with specific municipality and TID information
- Samples are not meant to be legal advice for any municipality or individual
- A municipality should consult with its legal counsel on specific questions about notices or complying with the open meetings law
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
Office of Technical and Assessment Services
PO Box 8971
Madison, WI 53708-8971
Phone: (608) 261-5335 or (608) 266-5708
Email additional questions to firstname.lastname@example.org