When creating or amending a Tax Incremental District (TID), the municipality must publish notices about the public hearing and Joint Review Board (JRB) meetings.
Notice required for:
JRB meetings – publish one notice at least five days before
any JRB meeting (sec.
66.1105(4m)(e), Wis. Stats.)
- Town TIDs created under sec. 60.85, Wis. Stats.
- Environmental Remediation TIDs created under sec. 66.1106, Wis. Stats.
TID Creation – publish two consecutive notices, one per week, with the second notice at least seven days before the public hearing
TID Amendments – publish one notice at least seven days before the public hearing
The minimum number of days does not include the day the notice is published but does include the day of the meeting.
For more information, review:
Open meeting law
Public hearings and JRB meetings must comply with open meetings law. For more information, review:
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) developed the following sample notices:
Sample notice instructions:
- Use each sample as a guide
- Modify each notice to address your municipality's specific situation
- Samples contain some words in red, which indicate the
minimal updates needed with specific municipality and TID information
- Samples are not meant to be legal advice for any municipality or individual
- Virtual meetings require additional information on how to access the meeting
- Consider providing both a virtual option and a physical location for the same meeting. This allows the public to choose how to attend and offer comments.
- A municipality should consult its attorney on specific questions about notices or complying with open meetings law
Wisconsin Department of Revenue
Office of Technical and Assessment Services
PO Box 8971
Madison, WI 53708-8971
Phone: (608) 266-7750