If you convey or sell real estate, you must file a Real Estate Transfer Return (RETR) with the county Register of Deeds when recording property conveyance deeds. Since July 1, 2009, under state law, you must electronically file (e-file) a RETR. Below are links to Real Estate Transfer historical data electronically filed (e-filed) since January 1, 2014. Data is updated monthly.
RETR information may be used to determine a property's market value. The best indicator of market value is a transfer representing an arm's-length transaction.
Characteristics of an arm's-length sale:
- Property must have been on the open market for a period of time typical of the turnover time for that property type
- Both buyer and seller must be knowledgeable about the real estate market and the uses (present and potential) of the property
- Must be both a willing buyer and a willing seller, with neither compelled to act
- Payment for the property must be in cash, or typical of normal financing and payment arrangements for the property type
Not all Real Estate Transfer Returns represents arm's-length sales:
Examples include: family sales, correction deeds and delinquent tax sales generally are not considered arm's-length transactions. However, with these transactions, you must still file a RETR. These records are tax documents and do not convey title.
Note: The Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) is not responsible for the accuracy of the data contained on the RETR, and will not aid in its application or analysis
Real Estate Transfer Search
- Historical files are large and zipped
- You need software to extract the files (ex: WinZip or Pkzip) to uncompress the file
- Download the ZIP file to your computer
- Right click the link and save the file to your computer (make note of the file name and where you saved it)
- Start WinZIP (or similar software) and extract the file
- File is saved as a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file
Note: DOR is not available to provide technical assistance and support of WINZIP/PKUnzip.
Real Estate Transfer Data Fields for above files
Email additional questions to