Before You File a Claim
- Choosing the correct relationship type AND attaching the required documents with your claim will expedite the review and approval of your claim. See Relationship Types and Documentation Needed.
- You can include up to 20 properties per claim; however, file a separate claim for each property owner.
- Provide as much documentation as you can to prove you are entitled to the property. You MUST attach a copy of your government issued identification and provide your social security number to validate your identity. See Acceptable Documents and Submission Process.
Step 1: Search for Property
- Click this button on the website
- Search by Name OR by Property ID number, not both. After entering Name or ID, Click the blue Search button to get results.
- A list of properties will appear below the search criteria. TIP: You can sort the results by clicking on the column heading (e.g., street, city, name).
- To add a property to your claim, click "Add" in left-hand column.
- The property is added to the Properties to Claim section above the search results.
- After adding all the properties you wish to claim, click in the right corner of the page.
Step 2: Filing a Claim
This is an overview of the claim process. Not all steps are shown. Use the "Next" button on the bottom of each screen to move on. Use the "Previous" button to go back. You can save a draft and resume filing a claim at any time by clicking "Save Draft." Write down the Confirmation Code you receive. This Code is only valid for 60 days. When you resume filing your claim, you must click on the "Continue Editing" link to make changes or continue with your submission.
- Select "No" if you are filing your own claim
- Select "Yes" if you are a locator filing a claim on behalf of the claimant
- Then click Next
Select Relationship to Property
You must choose your relationship to each property in the claim. See additional guidance on selecting the correct relationship type in the document Relationship Types and Documents Needed. When all properties have a relationship type entered, click Next.
Enter Claimant Information
- Enter your current first and last name
- Enter your social security number OR your Wisconsin driver's license number
- Enter your date of birth
- Enter your current phone number, email, and street address
- Verify the address entered by clicking on the "Verify Address" link below the state field
- Click Next
Step 3: Documentation Submission Process
- Attach at least one document for your claim to be reviewed, preferably your Government ID
- If you do not have proof of the address associated with the property, check the "Check if already provided" box. We will do our best to find this information. We will contact you if needed.
Enter Direct Deposit
- Click the "Yes" button if you would like to receive a direct deposit. We cannot deposit funds into foreign bank accounts.
- Enter your bank account information.
- For paper check, leave the fields blank and click the Next button.
Read the agreement notices and enter your first and last name to affirm you are the rightful claimant to the property on this claim.
Enter your email address and confirm it on the confirmation screen. You will receive a follow up email once your claim is submitted.
Final Confirmation Screen
- Enter and confirm your email
- Record the confirmation number for your claim (this will also be provided in a follow up email)
- Use the Print Claim button to view your claim. You can print or "Print to PDF" to save the document for future reference.
Step 4: Check Claim Status
- Allow six to eight weeks to review your claim
- Check the status of your claim by clicking this button:
- You will need the confirmation or claim number and zip code from the claim