July 27, 2023
To:Clerks and Treasurers
Please disregard this email if you already filed your auditor's opinion (Tax 16), or are a municipality or county with a population under 25,000.
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR), State and Local Finance Division would like to remind you to submit an auditor's opinion within your Municipal Financial Report (MFR) by the July 31, 2023 deadline.
Auditor's Opinion (Tax 16) Filing Requirement
- Municipalities and counties with a population over 25,000 must provide an auditor's opinion under Administrative Rule Tax 16.05
- Due date – July 31, 2023
- To submit an auditor's opinion:
- Visit MyDORGov and open your previously filed MFR
- Attach the auditor's opinion in the Preparer/Signature Statement section, then submit the amended form
- Note: DOR will not make changes to your report due to your auditor's opinion
Late Filing Penalty
- Under state law (sec. 86.303(5), Wis. Stats.) and Administrative Rule Tax 16.05, you are required to file an auditor's opinion by the due date of July 31, 2023. If DOR does not receive the auditor's opinion by the due date, your municipality/county will be charged a late filing penalty, which reduces your General Transportation Aid payments. This penalty is calculated and imposed by the Department of Transportation (DOT).
- If DOR does not receive your auditor's opinion, we may request that a Certified Public Accountant complete it using your municipal records. Your municipality is charged for this service.
Contact us at email@example.com.