September 30, 2022
To: Municipal Clerks and Treasurers
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) posted the 2023 Expenditure Restraint Program (ERP) Budget Limit Notices on our
- DOR emailed Budget Limit Notices to the municipalities eligible for a 2024 ERP payment on Friday, September 30, 2022
- If your municipal-only property tax rate does not exceed five mills, your municipality is not eligible for ERP and will not receive a 2023 Budget Limit Notice
To qualify for a 2024 ERP payment,
both must apply:
- Your municipal‑only 2022 property tax rate must exceed five mills
- According to DOR records, 429 municipalities are eligible since they have a 2021 tax rate above five mills
Note: This excludes TIF district value and tax increments
- Your municipality's non‑debt general fund budget expenditure percentage increase from 2022 to 2023 must be
less than the sum of the 7.7% increase in the Consumer Price Index for the 12 months ending August 31, 2022, plus your 2022 net new construction percentage (up to a maximum 2.0%).
Note: Review the 2023 Budget Limit Notices carefully to ensure your municipality qualifies for a 2024 ERP payment.
Contact us at email@example.com.