Wisconsin participates in the federal/state electronic filing program, a cooperative effort between the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the state revenue agencies. Authorized tax professionals electronically transmit federal and state income tax returns to the IRS. Then the IRS electronically sends the state return to the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) for processing.
Taxpayers interested in e-filing through a tax professional
- Contact a tax professional that is authorized by the IRS and DOR to provide electronic filing services. These authorized tax professionals are called Electronic Return Originators (EROs). Make sure the tax professional you choose participates in the Federal/State Electronic Filing Program and uses a software package that includes the State of Wisconsin.
- To locate an ERO in your area, visit the
IRS website, scroll down to the Authorized Providers section, and enter a zip code and click Submit.
What to expect when you electronically file your income tax return using a tax professional
These are the steps in the e-file process:
- ERO enters data into software program and prepares the federal and Wisconsin returns.
- ERO and taxpayer confirm direct deposit information, if you have a refund.
- ERO and taxpayer confirm direct debit information, if you have an amount owed.
- ERO and taxpayer review and verify information on the returns.
- ERO provides taxpayer with a copy of the tax returns.
- ERO transmits the returns.
- ERO receives acknowledgements and notifies taxpayer.
- ERO and taxpayer retains wage statements and other tax documents for four years.
- ERO either attaches the required documents (if needed) with the e-filed return or mails theForm W-RA (if needed) with required attachments within 48 hours.
IRS acknowledgements are issued within
Wisconsin DOR acknowledgements are issued within
If you use a tax professional to e-file your return, filing taxes becomes virtually a paperless process. If you owe taxes, you can pay by direct withdrawal/debit, credit card or electronic funds transfer. If you pay by check, you will send your check along with a Form EPV (Electronic Payment Voucher) to the Wisconsin Department of Revenue. Your ERO should give you this payment voucher.
February 11, 2020