What does sales tax apply to?
Sales tax is imposed on retailers who make taxable retail sales, licenses, leases, or rentals of the following products in Wisconsin (unless an exemption applies):
- Tangible personal property
- Coins and stamps of the United States that are sold, licensed, leased, rented or traded as collector's items, above their face value.
- Leased tangible personal property affixed to real property, if the lessor has the right to remove the leased property upon breach or termination of the lease agreement.
Exception: A lessor's charge for the lease of tangible personal property affixed to real property is not taxable if the lessor of the leased property is also the lessor of the real property to which the leased property is affixed.
In addition, certain services which are sold, licensed, performed, or furnished at retail in Wisconsin are subject to Wisconsin sales or use tax, unless the service provider or the buyer is exempt from tax on that transaction.
What is tangible personal property?
Tangible personal property is personal property that can be seen, weighed, measured, felt, or touched, or that is in any other manner perceptible to the senses. Examples include:
- Office equipment
- Prewritten computer software, regardless of how it is delivered (i.e., physical media or download)
Which services are taxable?
Only certain services sold, performed, or furnished in Wisconsin are subject to Wisconsin sales or use tax. Taxable services include:
When are delivery charges taxable?
When a retailer sells taxable products or services which are subject to tax, and the retailer charges the purchaser for delivery, the retailer's total charge, including the delivery charge, is taxable. This is the case whether the seller's vehicle, a common or contract carrier, or the United States Postal Service makes delivery.
- The sales price of direct mail does not include separately stated delivery charges.
- Transportation or delivery charges paid by the Wisconsin purchaser to a carrier which is independent of the seller.
For additional information on these sales and services, see
Publication 201, Wisconsin Sales and Use Tax Information.
FOR QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS CONTACT:
WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
Customer Service Bureau
PO Box 8949
Madison, WI 53708-8949
Phone: (608) 266-2776
Fax: (608) 267-1030
Email additional questions to