No-Sale Event Venues and 2023 Wisconsin Act 73

  1. ​​ When do the changes to public places and event venues that allow the consumption of alcohol beverages take effect?

  2. I want to continue to rent/lease my venue for events where alcohol beverages are consumed after January 1, 2026. What do my options include?

  3. How do I obtain a No-Sale Event Venue Permit and what does this permit allow me to do?

  4. I want to obtain a retail alcohol beverage license for my event venue. How do I obtain a license? What type of license do I need? How much do licenses cost?

  5. What if my municipality does not have any "Class B" intoxicating liquor licenses available to be issued because they have reached their quota?

  6. If I get a retail alcohol beverage license, what regulations or requirements do I have to follow?

Applicable Laws and Rules

This document provides statements or interpretations of the following laws and regulations enacted as of December 21, 2023: chapter 125 Wis. Stats.

Laws enacted and in effect after this date, new administrative rules, and court decisions may change the interpretations in this document. Guidance issued prior to this date, that is contrary to the information in this document is superseded by this document, according to sec. 73.16(2)(a), Wis. Stats.

​​​​Contact Us

Wisconsin Department of Revenue
Alcohol & Tobacco Enforcement Unit
PO Box 8900
Madison, WI 53708-8900
Phone: (608) 264-4573
Fax: (608) 261-7049

The department welcomes your input on our guidance. Submit comments on this guidance document.

Guidance Document Number: 100314

December 21, 2023