Tax Refund Interception Program (TRIP)
Wisconsin statutes authorize the Department of Revenue (DOR) to intercept tax refunds and refundable credits to pay debts owed to government agencies and Wisconsin Tribes.
- State agencies - sec. 71.93, Wis. Stats.
- Local governments - sec. 71.935, Wis. Stats.
- Internal Revenue Service - sec. 73.03 (52), Wis. Stats.
- Tribes - sec. 73.03 (52n), Wis. Stats.
- Tax obligations of other states - sec. 73.03 (52m), Wis. Stats.
Other revenue sources:
- Vendor setoff - sec 71.93(b) and 71.935, Wis. Stats., authorizes the Department of Revenue to certify debts to the Department of Administration so that they may reduce a disbursement to the debtor by the amount of the debt.
- Lottery prizes - sec. 565.30 (5), Wis. Stats., authorized the Department of Revenue to intercept lottery prize winnings greater than $1,000 to be applied against the amount the taxpayer owes to state agencies.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
Agency Setoff Coordinator
PO Box 8901, MS 4-206
Madison, WI 53708-8901
Phone (608) 264-0344
Fax (608) 261-6226
Email additional questions to DORTaxRefundInterceptProcess@wisconsin.gov
September 20, 2013
Updates were made to the code or formatting on this page as of December 30, 2014. This date does not reflect the effective date or any other date relating to the content of this page.