Protecting Our Taxpayers
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue safeguards your tax information. We recognize that identity theft is one of the top cybercrimes that our citizens face.
We use a variety of tools to help protect our taxpayers including an identity quiz, issuing a unique PIN, or requiring a taxpayer to submit ID verification documents to prevent others from trying to file a false tax return to get a refund.
You must have received a letter from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue before clicking on one of these options. We will continue to process your state tax return once you have completed the appropriate task depending on the letter you received.
Click here to answer questions only the true taxpayer should know.
Enter the unique Personal Identification Number (PIN) the agency sent you.
- Why did I get a letter from the Department of Revenue about my identity?
- What should I do if I got a letter?
- What if I got a letter asking me to verify my identity, but I haven't filed a tax return yet?
- What if we filed our tax return jointly?
- What happens after I respond to the letter?
- What if I am out of the country (military duty) or unable to respond to the letter?
Updates were made to the code or formatting on this page as of March 18, 2016. This date does not reflect the effective date or any other date relating to the content of this page.