E-file Software Products
You can prepare and electronically file both your federal and state income tax returns by connecting to a software company website, if:
- You have a computer; and
- You have Internet access.
What You Need to Know:
- Below is a list of software companies and a link to their website to find out more about each company's Internet security, pricing, features, technical support, and other information about online filing. Read the information on the websites carefully before you choose a company and begin the filing process.
- Software will help you prepare your federal and/or state income tax returns (most products will include the federal tax return; however, some may not include the state tax return so choose the right software for your filing needs)
- Your returns will be prepared and stored at the software company's website, so no new software will need to be installed on your computer
- Technical support for these sites must be obtained from the software company
- Software companies normally charge a fee that will change based on the products and services you choose to use. Read the information on the websites for pricing and product details.
- Some low income and military taxpayers may qualify for free tax preparation and e-filing through the IRS Free File Alliance web page
- Most taxpayers can prepare and e-file their Wisconsin income tax return for free using Wisconsin e-file
- Websites use the industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) so your tax information is safe and secure
Additional Information About Online Filing:
- Same great benefits as other e-file options - safe, secure, accurate, fast, and easy
- File your federal and state tax returns at the same time
- Get notice that the federal and state received your income tax returns
- Chose to direct deposit your refund, rather than waiting for a paper check
- Chose to pay your income tax owed by direct withdrawal or by credit card
- Keep your income statements (forms W-2 and 1099) for your records*
- Be sure the purchased software include the products and services you need
- Neither the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) nor the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) charges a fee for electronic filing income tax returns
- DOR is not contractually associated with the software companies and does not have control over the availability of the website
- Amended returns are not accepted electronically by the IRS; however, Wisconsin amended and prior year returns can be e-filed using Wisconsin e-file
- The State of Wisconsin is requesting additional information in an effort to combat stolen-identity tax fraud and ensure your tax refund goes to you. Please provide the requested information from your driver's license or state-issued identification card. Your return will be processed even if you do not have a driver's license or state-issued identification card but providing the information can help process your return more quickly.
*When you e-file and claim certain credits (for example, the homestead credit), you must send documents to verify the credit claimed. The Form W-RA lists what credits need additional documentation and it gives the needed documents.
If you need to send additional documents to verify a credit that you claimed, they should be sent within 48 hours of e-filing and you can either:
- Attach the required documents to your tax return to be e-filed (if your software allows attachments);
- Electronically send through the W-RA Submission process explained at https://tap.revenue.wi.gov/services; or
- Mail to the address given on the Form W-RA.
Approved Vendor List
These vendors are approved by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR). Their software products have been tested to ensure DOR can receive and process the tax return; however, DOR does not guarantee any aspect of the software, its features or performance. Please make sure the software vendor company supports all of the forms and schedules you need to electronically file your individual income tax return.
|Product Name/Company||Web Address
|Wisconsin Forms Supported|
|1040.com (Drake Software)
Telephone (828) 524-8020
|1040.com||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1A w/H, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR, Schedule H|
|1040Now (Lamson Tech)
|1040now.com||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1, Form 1NPR, Form 1-ES|
|ATX 2015 (CCH, Small Firm Services)
Telephone (800) 638-8291
|cchsfs.com||Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR, Form 1-ES|
|Blockworks (H & R Block Inc)
Telephone (800) 472-5625
|hrblock.com||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1A w/H, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
(Petz Enterprises, Inc.)
Telephone (800) 345-4337
|petzent.com||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
|Drake 15 (Drake Software)
Telephone (828) 349-4446
|drakesoftware.com||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1A w/H, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR, Schedule H|
|express1040.com||Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
|FileYourTaxes.com (Self-File)||fileyourtaxes.com||Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR*|
|freetaxusa.com||Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
|GoSystem/ONESOURCE (Thomson Reuters)
Telephone (800) 869-9220
|cs.thomsonreuters.com/gosystem||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1A w/H, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR, Form 1-ES|
|H & R Block Online (H&R Block Inc)
Telephone (800) 472-5625
|hrblock.com||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1, Form 1NPR|
|H & R Block Tax Software (H&R Block Inc)
Telephone (800) 472-5625
|Intuit Tax Online (Intuit)||accountants.intuit.com/tax/online||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1A w/H, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
|Lacerte (Intuit)||accountants.intuit.com/tax/lacerte||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1A w/H, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR, Form 1-ES|
|LibTax (Liberty Tax Services)||libertytax.com||Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
|MyTaxPrepOffice (Advanced Tax Solutions, LLC)||www.mytaxprepoffice.com||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1A w/H,
Form 1, Form 1NPR
|OLT.com (OnLine Taxes, Inc)
Telephone (816) 232-9095
|olt.com||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1A w/H, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR, Form 1-ES, Standalone H|
|OnepriceTaxes (AFJC Corporation)||onepricetaxes.com||Form 1|
Telephone (888) 777-3303
|proseries.com||Form 1A, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
|ProFiler (Jackson Hewitt)
Telephone (800) 668-8264
|JacksonHewitt.com||Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
|ProSystem fx Tax (CCH Inc)
Telephone (800) 739-9998
|cchgroup.com||Form 1A, Form 1A w/H, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
Telephone (651) 731-5318
|email@example.com||Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
Telephone (319) 373-3600
|taxact.com||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1, Form 1NPR|
|taxhawk.com||Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
Telephone (706) 922-6741
|taxslayer.com||Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
Telephone (706) 868-0985
|taxslayerpro.com||Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
|TaxWise (CCH Small Firm Services)
Telephone (866) 641-9473
|taxwise.com||Form 1, Form 1NPR|
|TurboTax (Intuit, Inc)
Telephone (888) 777-3303
|turbotax.intuit.com||Form 1A, Form 1A w/H, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR|
|UltraTax CS (CS Professional Suite)
Telephone (800) 968-0600
|cs.thomsonreuters.com/ultrataxcs||Form WI-Z, Form 1A, Form 1, Form 1 w/H, Form 1NPR, Form X-NOL|
Benefits of Electronic Filing
- Online or electronic filing offers a number of benefits including speed, accuracy, and convenience.
- You receive confirmation that the Wisconsin Department of Revenue has received your tax returns.
- You may initiate an electronic payment at the same time you transmit your return.
- Amended returns are accepted electronically by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.
For more information about vendor products, security, pricing, features, technical support, and other aspects, visit their websites or contact them by phone. It's worth repeating: these products differ in price and features. Look at the total package; investigate all your options.
July 20, 2016
Updates were made to the code or formatting on this page as of August 25, 2016. This date does not reflect the effective date or any other date relating to the content of this page.