Liquor License Report
Clerks are required to report businesses that have a liquor license issued by their municipality by July 15th each year. DOR has created a new form to make this filing requirement easier. This form displays all license holders reported last year. Clerks are able to add new license holders and delete inactive licenses. We have created two guides to help you with the new process:
- Online Filing Method - recommended for municipalities with less than 50 license holders to report.
- Bulk Filing Method - recommended for municipalities with more than 50 license holders to report.
Special Notes for Online Filing
- Annual filing due July 15th.
- To get started, enter your profile information including the Municipality's FEIN number or Wisconsin Tax Number (WTN) and press the Get Data button. You must be connected to the internet while you enter this information or the form will be unable to pre-populate.
- Once the form is populated with the license data you submitted last year, save a copy on your computer to avoid losing data. Using your mouse, hit the right click key, and save.
- Follow the instructions and prompts on each screen.
- If you see a stop sign () there is an error on that line. Click on the stop sign to see a message that will help you to fix the error.
- Before you can file the form, you must fix all errors.
- Get a list of all your active or newly issued licenses.
- When you click the "Start Filing" button below you will be presented with the licenses you report to DOR last year.
- Compare the list. Delete any inactive licenses. Add any new license holders.
- Submit to DOR when completed.
- You can file updates anytime. Each file submitted will replace the information previously submitted.
- Liquor license codes:
|AB||Class "A" beer (off-sale), (convenience/grocery stores)|
|AL||"Class A" liquor (off-sale), (drug stores, wineries)|
|ALB||Class A beer/Class A liquor (includes wine) - off sale only|
|BB||Class "B" beer only (on/off sales) or in combination with "Class C" wine|
|BLB||Class "B" beer and "Class B" liquor (taverns, supper clubs, etc.)|
|CW||"Class C" wine (on-sale), (restaurants who qualify)|
|WAB||Wholesale beer (distributor) and Class "A" beer|
|BL||Class "B" Liquor Only (winery)|
Prepare a list of your active or newly issued licenses.
- Verify the business entity - Sole Proprietor (Individual), Corporation, or Limited Liability Company (LLC). The alcohol beverage license must be issued in the name of the Corporation or LLC, not the owners'.
- Verify that the alcohol beverage licensee holds a valid seller's permit.
- Department-issued seller's permit numbers are 15 digits long and start with a "456" prefix and should be entered like this: 456–XXXXXXXXXX–0X.
- Exception: Some alcohol beverage licenses are issued to an LLC where the business operates as a sole proprietor or single-member. In such cases, the seller's permit may be issued in the name of the sole proprietor or single member of the LLC. If an LLC applies for an alcohol beverage license and furnishes a seller's permit that is not in the legal name of the LLC, call the department at (608) 266–2776 to verify whether the seller's permit is valid for the LLC.
- Section 77.61(11), Wis. Stats., requirement for proof that the licensee is registered for Wisconsin sales and use tax purposes.
- Section 125.04(4), Wis. Stats., requirement to provide liquor license information to DOR.
Common Questions: http://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/index.html
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
Mail Stop 4-206
PO Box 8901
Madison, WI 53708-8901
Telephone: (608) 264-0344
May 4, 2015
Updates were made to the code or formatting on this page as of May 4, 2015. This date does not reflect the effective date or any other date relating to the content of this page.