Sales & Use Tax e-File Transmission
Rule effective 6/11/2010 - Rule "998 Test return". There is a root level attribute "usage" whose value is either "Test" or "Prod". Returns submitted to the production site with usage="Test" will be rejected with this new rule.
Wisconsin sales and use tax registrants and/or their representatives may transmit sales and use tax (Form ST-12) return data in an electronic file over the Internet. This process is intended for participants who have technical expertise to create and validate an XML document or are using software that provides that service. The sales and use tax file transmission:
- is a secure process for receiving formatted electronic transmissions of sales tax returns.
- is in XML language using a Department of Revenue web server.
- offers web GUI and scripted transmission methods.
- allows one return per XML file.
- allows multiple XML files zipped together for one transmission.
- does not use SOAP or MIME enveloping processes.
- is HTML based over SSL using 128-bit encryption.
- sends acknowledgements within one business day.
- is available using the electronic funds transfer (EFT) debit and credit payment processes.
- incorporates work done by the IRS and the Federation of Tax Administrators standards group.
Caution: Neither Adobe or Microsoft Excel generates the XML in the proper format. You cannot use either of these products to file a sales tax return. We also do not accept PDF files.
Receipt Number: Immediately upon transfer, you will receive a receipt number. This receipt number only means that we have received a file. It does not mean that your return has been accepted. Keep this number for your records.
Acknowledgement and Confirmation Number or Reject Error Message: Within a few minutes, you should ALSO receive an email (to the address you supplied in the return) telling you whether the return was accepted, or rejected, and the reasons why it was rejected. If the return was accepted, the email will contain the confirmation number. If you do not receive the email within 24 hours, contact the department with your receipt number.
Links below provide information about this process. To correctly view the schema and sample instance document, you will need to use Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher. The spreadsheet below is in Microsoft Excel.
- Return schema V2.2 Effective April 2010 (XSD format)
- Acknowledgment schema (XSD format)
- Summary of the Return schema (Excel format)
- Summary of the Acknowledgement schema (Excel format)
- Sample return (Instance document) (XML format)
- Sample Acknowledgement - Accepted (XML format)
- Sample Acknowledgement - Rejected (XML format)
- Additional detail information of schema elements
- Changes made to XML schema
- Publication 129 -- Sales & Use Tax File Transmission Handbook
- Common Questions
- Form ST-12 | Instructions
- Sales and Use Tax Reports
- Sales and Use Tax Electronic Mailing List
- Sales and Use Tax e-File Software Developer ListServ
- Sales & Use Tax E-filing and Payment Software - Third party software
This system is for authorized users only. System access is monitored. By using this system you expressly consent to this monitoring. Evidence of unauthorized access will be provided to the appropriate law enforcement agencies.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
March 31, 2016
Updates were made to the code or formatting on this page as of March 31, 2016. This date does not reflect the effective date or any other date relating to the content of this page.