What type of software is required to use Wisconsin e-file?
Adobe Reader is required to use Wisconsin e-file. You can download the latest
Adobe Reader DC here for free. Find the latest Adobe Reader
system requirements here.
I cannot download/install Adobe Reader DC. What should I do?
First, check your system requirements to see if your computer is capable of supporting Adobe Reader DC.
If your computer meets the system requirements and you still cannot download/install the program, please visit
Adobe's troubleshooting page or contact Adobe Customer Service at (800) 833-6687.
You may also receive free assistance with downloads/installation from Adobe at helpx.adobe.com/reader.html.
If your computer doesn't meet the system requirements, other e-filing options are available through:
I know I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Adobe Reader DC, but I keep getting an error message. What should I do?
If your browser is having problems opening WI e-file or you're getting a "Please wait…" error message, download the form directly to your computer to open in Adobe Reader. Right click on the form name, save it to your computer, and then open the form in Adobe Reader.
To do this:
- Hover over the desired form name.
- Right Click and select "Save Link as," "Save Target As," or "Download Linked File As."
- Save the file to your Desktop, or somewhere you can easily locate the file.
- Open the file from the saved location. The form should automatically open with Adobe Reader. If it does not, right click on the saved file, select "Open With…," and choose Adobe Reader.
- Complete the form.
- Make sure you are connected to the internet and submit the form.
- Save and/or print your completed form to keep for your records. If you do not save the completed form to your computer, you will not be able to access it once you close it.
What should I do when my bank routing information won't verify or I try to submit my return and I get a message "Error-Your return submission was not successful."?
Make sure you are connected to the Internet. You must be connected to the Internet to submit your tax return through Wisconsin e-file. To test the ability of Adobe Reader to connect to our secure servers:
- Save the "versionchecker.pdf" file to your computer by right-clicking on the icon below.
- Open "versionchecker.pdf" in Adobe Reader per the instructions in #3.
- If a security message appears, click "Allow."
- Click the box that says "Submission Test."
If the above test is not successful, make sure you are connected to the internet or if you are using wireless internet, plug the computer directly into the router or modem using an Ethernet cord. If you know you are connected to the internet and the "versionchecker" is not successful, it may be an issue with your security software, firewall settings, or router settings.
You should save your return in a portable document format (PDF) to your computer or other storage device (flash drive, email, etc.) by clicking "File" and "Save As" before closing Wisconsin e-file. Try submitting your return at a later time or from a different computer.
What do the
, symbols mean within Wisconsin e-file and how do they work?
Why do I get a Security Warning when I open my return for the first time or try to submit the return?
Adobe Reader will warn you any time that a PDF attempts to connect to the Internet. When you open the return to file for the first time, a warning message like the one below may appear on your screen to indicate that this check is occurring. Check the box "Remember this action for this site for all PDF documents" and click "Allow" to begin your return.
Wisconsin Department of Revenue
Electronic Filing Unit
PO Box 8949
Madison, WI 53708-8949
Income Tax Customer Service Phone: (608) 266-2486
Business Tax Customer Service Phone: (608) 266-2776
Customer Service Fax: (608) 267-1030