Employers and payers doing business in Wisconsin are required to file wage statements (W-2s) and information returns (Forms 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC, 1099-R, etc.) with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR). As we continue our efforts to fight fraud, we want to ensure the information you send matches the information reported by the payee.
Please review and follow the requirements below to submit wage statements or information returns for payments made in 2020. All statements and returns filed with the department for 2020 are due
February 1, 2021. If you file 10 or more wage statements or 10 or more of any one type of information return with the department, the statements or returns must be filed electronically.
We will reject electronic returns with incomplete or incorrect information and give you a reject reason so you can correct the information and resubmit. We will not return incorrect or incomplete returns filed on paper. If you filed on paper, we will send you a letter asking you to correct and resubmit the corrected forms. Filing an incomplete or incorrect wage or information return is subject to a penalty of $10 for each violation.
For more information about filing requirements and the new Form 1099-NEC, see the 2020
Withholding Tax Update and
Guide to Wisconsin Wage Statements and Information Returns.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Wage and Information Return Reporting Requirements
format for paper filers
- 15-digit Wisconsin withholding number (those who did not withhold, are not required to withhold and never held a Wisconsin withholding number must use 036888888888801)
- Nine digit federal employer identification number (FEIN)
- Legal name must match numbers above
- Nine digit payee tax identification number
- Wisconsin as top state (if possible)
- If you file 10 or more wage statements or information returns, you must file them electronically. See
Publication 117 for "How to File."
- If you file less than 10, we encourage you to file electronically. Otherwise, mail them to the following address:
Wisconsin Department of Revenue
PO Box 8920
Madison, WI 53708-8920
Do not send to any other address
- Data must be in similar location of federal form on IRS website
- Must be in form format. We will not accept text lists.
- No more than four statements or returns per page
- Page no larger than 8.5"x11"
- Page no smaller than 2.75" high or 4.25" wide
- Send only one statement or return per employee/payee (no duplicates)
- Use blue or black ink
- 1096-federal transmittal form
- 1099-DIV or 1099-INT if no Wisconsin withholding (do not include on WT-7)
- CDs, magnetic tapes or PDF files
- Carbon copies
- Duplicate W-2s with no change (if change made, file W-2c only)
- Duplicate WT-7
- Old version of WT-7 if paper filing
- W-2 or 1099s with no Wisconsin connection
Applicable Laws and Rules
This document provides statements or interpretations of the following laws and regulations in effect as of November 2, 2020: Sections 71.68, 71.70, 71.71, 71.715, 71.72, 71.73, and 71.80(20), Wis. Stats., and sec. Tax 2.04, Wis. Adm. Code.
Laws enacted and in effect after November 2, 2020, new administrative rules, and court decisions may change the interpretations in this document. Guidance issued prior to November 2, 2020, that is contrary to the information in this document is superseded by this document, pursuant to sec. 73.16(2)(a), Wis. Stats.
FOR QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS CONTACT:
WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
Customer Service Bureau
PO Box 8949
Madison, WI 53708-8949
Phone: (608) 266-2776
Fax: (608) 267-1030
Email additional questions to
Guidance Document Number: 100273