Short-Term Lodging Marketplaces Must Obtain a License to Collect Wisconsin Taxes

​NOTE: This article was replaced by the article dated September 12, 2018.

Under 2017 Wisconsin Act 59, a lodging marketplace providing short-term residential lodging must register with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) for a license to collect taxes imposed by the state related to a short-term rental and to collect room taxes imposed by a Wisconsin municipality.

The application for the license, Form 231, Lodging Marketplace Application, is available on our website at (search "Form 231"). See page two of the application for definitions.

If the lodging marketplace is engaged in business in Wisconsin, it must also:

A list of lodging marketplaces licensed by DOR will be posted on our website.

November 3, 2017