January 22, 2019
To: Municipal Clerks and Treasurers
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) posted the following 2018 Municipal Financial Report Forms (C and CT) on our website. Municipal Clerks are required to electronically file (e-file) a complete and accurate form by the appropriate due date stated below. Both DOR and the Department of Transportation use this completed form when calculating future aid payments.
- Form C – for cities, villages, and towns with proprietary funds
- Form CT – for towns without proprietary funds
- There are no new lines on Form C or CT
April 1, 2019 - populations under 2,500
May 1, 2019 – populations over 2,500
May 15, 2019 extension – DOR automatically grants an extension to May 15, 2019. You do not have to send an extension request.
- Amended forms must be submitted by email, mail or fax
- You may review your municipality's 2017 financial report summary on our
Reports web page, under Municipal
- Access the forms on our
- Complete all the required fields and electronically submit the form
- You will receive a confirmation number after you successfully e-file
- Print and/or save a copy for your records
Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
- Municipalities with a population over 25,000 must also submit a final Form C with an auditor's opinion on the form (Administrative Rule Tax 16)
- If previously submitted amounts are amended, you must submit a complete amended Form C
Due date: July 31, 2019
- Submit to DOR by email, mail or fax
- Do not send us a copy of your CAFR unless requested
Late Filing or Non-Filing
- Under state law (sec. 86.303 (7)(a)(b)(c)(d), Wis. Stats.), if DOR does not receive a complete and accurate form by the due date, your municipality will be charged a late filing penalty which reduces your General Transportation Aid payments
- If DOR does not receive your form, we may request that a Certified Public Accountant complete the form using your municipal records. Your municipality is charged for this service.
If you need assistance filing, training videos are available on the
MFR Training web page
U.S. Census Bureau Annual Financial Report (Form F-65)
The U.S. Census Bureau will be requesting each municipality and county complete Form F-65 and submit it directly to them; however, the form is not yet available. We will notify you when the form is available on our website.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 261-5341