Electronic Filing of W-2s
Electronic Filing of Information Returns and Wage Statements (2007 Act 20, amend sec. 71.80(20), effective October 27, 2007.)
If the Internal Revenue Service requires a person to file information returns or wage statements electronically for federal income tax purposes, the person shall also file the comparable state information returns or wage statements electronically with the Department of Revenue for income or franchise tax purpose. We will no longer accept 3½ inch floppy disks or compact disks for the 2007 tax year (2008 filing season). This is the last year cartridges will be accepted.
Electronic filing is a faster, easier and more efficient means of submitting your W-2 information. Please transfer those same files through our secure FTP site at www.revenue.wi.gov/eserv/w-2.html.
Small employers can create an electronic W-2 file and file their W-2s at the Social Security Administration website and send us that same file.
Also, beginning January 2, 2008, you can file the same W-2 files that you create on the Social Security Administration (SSA) website electronically through the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) website. Submit those files through our secure DOR FTP site quickly and easily.
To file your W-2s electronically,
- Go to the SSA website at www.ssa.gov/employer/.
- Click on Business Services Online.
- Choose register or complete a phone registration.
- Get your PIN and password.
- Complete W-2s on the SSA website using the tutorials and instructions. Save the Portable Document Format (PDF) file on your PC.
- Then go to our W-2 online filing page and follow the instructions for transmitting that PDF file (www.revenue.wi.gov/eserv/w-2.html).
- Click on ready to transfer, select W-2 Data in the drop down box, browse and locate your file on your PC and click transfer.
Caution: We can accept only the PDF generated W-2s created at the Social Security Administration site. No other type of PDF generated W-2 is acceptable, for example, scanned or those created by any other type of software.
You may also continue to file your state W-2s in the EFW2 format (formerly MMREF-1) at www.revenue.wi.gov/eserv/w-2.html by using the specifications outlined in publication www.revenue.wi.gov/pubs/co-001.pdf. Simply add the State ‘RS' record to the Social Security Administration format. Then just transfer your file. No PIN or password is required. We will also be checking the validity of the data and format of the W-2 files that we receive. Those files that do not meet the validity checks based on the EFW2 specifications may not be accepted.
If you have questions contact Customer Service at (608) 266-2776 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page last updated November 22, 2011