Form 1099-G Misfold Taxpayer Information

MADISON – The Department of Administration (DOA) and Department of Revenue (DOR) learned on January 9, 2008, that during a mailing, a printing misfold led to some social security numbers on Form 1099-G being partially visible through the window envelope.

The State of Wisconsin apologizes for this error and is taking steps to assist any taxpayer that may be affected. For additional information, affected taxpayers should call toll-free 1-888-844-4474, weekdays from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm, or email

Who is affected?

You may be affected if all the following apply:

You itemized your deductions AND received a 2006 Wisconsin income tax refund. The forms at risk were sent to the following communities with a postmark of January 2, 2008: Freedom, Kaukauna, Keshena, Kimberly, Krakow, Lakewood, Lena, Little Chute, Little Suamico, and Marinette.

What information was potentially disclosed?

Only the social security number of the “primary” taxpayer were printed on the Form 1099-G. That is, the taxpayer whose name appears first on a joint tax return forms was potentially viewable through the window envelope.

What has the State done to correct the problem?

Will DOR be contacting me?

A letter to affected taxpayers was mailed the week of January 14, 2007. If your social security number is identified as one of the 5,000 potentially affected by the misfolding, you will receive a letter.

Why was the social security number on the Form 1099-G?

The social security number is required by the Internal Revenue Service to be placed on all 1099 forms. The social security number is necessary to ensure that income reported on the form belongs to the taxpayer.

What is a Form 1099-G?

A Form 1099-G must be filed by DOR for refunds, credits or offsets of state income tax when the recipients itemize deductions on their federal income tax returns.

 How can affected taxpayers protect their personal information?

Taxpayers who receive a letter with a Equifax PIN should follow the instructions to apply for free credit monitoring. There are other steps that can be taken to protect personal information. Ask credit bureaus to place a “fraud alert” in your credit files for free. Fraud alerts notify potential credit grantors to verify your indetification before extending credit in your name. You can also place a “security freeze” on your credit report, which prohibits a credit bureau from releasing information in your credit report without your express authorization. You must request a freeze in writing by certified mail with each of the three credit bureaus, and there is a $10 fee per credit bureau.

Page last updated February 29, 2008